Re: Sad day for Triumphs

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Sad day for Triumphs
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 01:00:22 -0400
Ron and Angie-

Truly sorry to hear about your loss, and glad nobody was hurt. It IS a
sad day for Triumphs when something as rare as a North American Vitesse
gets totalled.

But you wrote,
> Heralds are not even a consideration, I want something with
> performance.

As a Herald owner and advocate, I say, Just a minute! Heralds built
after mid-'62 used the same frame as the Vitesse, and most of the same
sheet metal (except the Herald bonnet is MUCH better looking :) and a
lot of shared mechanicals.

Seems to me that with some parts salvaged from your Vitesse, including
the engine and gearbox, and a suitable differential, you could recreate
the Vitesse without too much difficulty starting from a decent Mark II
Herald Convertible. It's got the drop top, and a true back seat for the
kids, who will have a tendency to grow larger over the next few years...
Just a thought, and once again, I'm sorry to hear about your car.

Bill Kelly
'62 Mark I Herald 1200 (not for sale)
'68 TR250