OD - first use questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: OD - first use questions
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 18:28:37 -0500
Listers,

While on my LBC parts buying trip back east I picked up a TR4 tranny with
an "A" type OD.  Before buying we pulled the gear shift cover and
inspected the insides.  Everything looked real good with the exception of a
few small stains on some of the teeth that appeared to be moisture stains.
They appeared to rub off using a cloth so I wasn't to concerned about
them.  I would like to be able to just take this tranny/OD combination and
just put them in my car and try them out.  Are there any precautions or
things that I can do before installation to further check the unit out without
disassembling it?  I've toyed with the idea of pouring some keresene in the
tranny and hand turning the gears for a while to try and clean out any
sludge that might be in there.  Is this a bad idea?  Any other recommended
ways to clean out the insides?  Is there any way inspecting the OD inards
with out pulling apart?

TIA

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now a parts car)
1961 TR4                  CT288L (Now with OD!!)
1959 TR3                  TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108