Re: Replacing snaps.

To: Neil McAllister <neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Replacing snaps.
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 00:14:36 -0500
Neil,

Whether they are plastic or metal, very carefully is the method.

I've used screwdrivers and wire cutters underneath plastic ones to break
off the remaining broken snap. The shaft of the metal caps should be
bent back straight with needle nose pliers before extracting, so you
don't make the hole in the top any larger than necessary.

For metal and riveted snaps, I drill.

Once again - carefully.

To install new ones, I bought a snap kit from Sears with the tools (3
pieces) to press on new snaps. If the top is on the car, I placed a
towel on the boot lid, then a wood block and tapped them on.

Vic

--
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 <*> http://www.enteract.com/~vmichael/

 "There will come a time when you think everything is finished.
                   That will be the beginning."

                         (Louis L'Amour)