Re: 1500 Tranny Conversion

To: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>, spitfires <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Tranny Conversion
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 15:06:03
Michael,  I recently converted my Spitfire from a 4 speed to an overdrive.
Assuming your tranny is setup the same as a Spitfires, there is very little
you have to do.  You must replace the entire tranny with one that has an
overdrive unit,  someone correct me if i am wrong, but you cannot simply
put an o/d unit onto your existing tranny, the output shaft is different.
After that all you need is a o/d driveshaft, a different tranny mount, the
gearshifter, and that is it.  The J-type overdrive doesn't require the
relays that the d-types require, so the wiring is very simple.  I can fill
you in, when you are ready.  I don't know the differences with your car,
but I hope this fills you in.

At 01:38 PM 10/6/98 -0400, Michael Graziano wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I've been lurking on the list for a few weeks now,  and finally have a
question I hope you can help
>me with.
>
>I have a '78 MG Midget (with the Triumph 1500 engine) and the 4 speed
tranny.  I'd like to convert
>to a 5 speed or a 4 speed w/ overdrive.
>
>Do any of you have any information on existing conv kits or o/d units for
sale?  I'd appreciate any
>help you could offer.  I'm in the NYC area.
>
>Michael
>
>'78 Midget
>'87 300zx
>'98 French Poodle/Wheel Chock