Re: British car day report-

To: "Barry Schwartz" <bschwart@pacbell.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: British car day report-
From: "Laura G." <savercool@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:33:57 -0700
Good Morning Barry,
I was wondering who the other Spit List member was! I hope you introduce
yourself at Triumphest!

It was a Beautiful day! Got up before the sun, so that I could clean up
Nigel a bit before leaving. Allowed myself 2 hours to get down there-61
miles- but, needed to get gas, some donuts and pick up my friend Aliisa in
Laguna. Finally hit the 5 around 7:40. This was my first REAL car show and I
was anxoius to get there early.

We headed down the 5 with a bit of nip in the air and the sun shinning down.
Ahh, Indian Summer. Did between 60 and 65 all the way to Oceanside with the
temp staying down to halfway between the 1/4 and 1/2 slash. Purring along.
I'd been by Dave's the day before to have him test drive Nigel as I actually
had the top up a few days before to condition it and keep it fitting
properly. It's was new when I bought the car and I'd only had it up once
before. (btw-it's not vinyl but a fabric, double laminate-so, it's really
nice. It matches the top on Dave's Vette. Ans gives it a sort of "matte"
finish.)

Anyway-when I drove the other day with the top up (!) I noticed ALL kinds of
extra notes in the symphony! THought I was going out of my mind, actually.
So, Dave was kind enough to indulge me and go for a test drive. When I saw
the grin on his face, I got the feeling the he was kind of sorry he doesn't
have the Spit anymore. But, Nigel got a big "OK".

On the way to Oceanside, he really performed admirably. Then we got to
Oceanside and Mission San Luis Rey. Aliisa had never been ther before, so I
pulled into the parking lot. It was 8:15. The Mission doesn't open untill
10. So, we got back in Nigel and headed towards Bonsall. It was a beautiful
morning and a lovely drive-even getting a wee bit turned around in a detour.

As we neared Bonsall, I remarked a conspicous absence of little British cars
on the road. But at the turn to Fallbrook, there was a lovely blue Healey in
front of us. When we saw the Union Jack at the drive way-Aliisa said "That
MUST be the place!" We were early, only a few cars there, and the grass was
still wet with dew. The people from the San Diego clubs were all so nice. We
found the Triumphs and found ourselves next to Abel Miramons lovely yellow
Spitfire. There were a couple of Spit6's and another yellow 1500. The winner
for the Triumph Marque was --of couse--an apple green TR 3. ( I remark,
because it seems that if prizes are given for the best of marque, it goes to
a TR 2 or 3. We Spitfires are the forgotten ones :-(  )  But, it was a
lovely car.

We had a really great day--even on 4 hours of sleep. Barry might not have
found me because I was curled up in the shade-under Nigels exhaust napping!
But, I can answer the two most frequently answered questions-yes, those are
the original seats, they are reapholstered. And yes, I do have a smog
certificate-how I get it smoged-I just take it to my mechanic. ("don't ask.
Don't tell"?)

When they were judging, one of the judges was really going at it about my
Webers. But, I told him, how would I have tags and everything if I couldn't
get a cartificate?

Really enjoyed seeing Jan Orlow and Abel and it was really nice to meet Jan
Dawson-although she twice said that they'd been taliking about me at
SCTOA--and I always wonder what's being said! {;-)  But, she was so nice, it
guess it was only good things!

As we left, it was really a pleasure to meet others on the road who had
shared such a glorious day-smailes and waves all around! See you all at
Triumphest!!!

And don't be shy to say hi-and don't forget your List stickers!

Laura G. and Nigel