Spitfire: Rear-End Noises

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire: Rear-End Noises
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 13:22:42 -0500
Greetings all,

    I posted a message awhile back where I was pretty frantic about rear
end noises heard while on an excursion to our great Chicago suburbs.
Well, the car was towed back and has been driven a few blocks around
town to aid in diagnosing the problem.

    I have not heard this noise since. I looked around under the car and
didn't see anything obvious. Mind you, I backed up onto ramps rather
than jacking the car up and using jack stands. Maybe the reason
everything seemed solid?

    Since I had the car up and I knew I would find the differential a
little low on oil, I topped it off. I grabbed and wiggled everything I
could and everything seemed okay.

    Was I being paranoid? How could a longer trip create these kinds of
symptoms while shorter drives don't? What else should I look at? Should
I keep the car garaged or worry about breaknig down?

Thanks In Advance,

Vic

P.S. While I was skirting around avoiding the rear end problem, I was
able to get the new carpet, heater, b-post caps, soft top boot and front
signals installed - Now if I can just get that D*MN bonnet, I'll be real
close to getting a paint job and my "round one" with restoration will be
done. "Round two" is for next winter when I hope to do a body-off
restore.

--
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 <*> http://www.enteract.com/~vmichael/

 "There will come a time when you think everything is finished.
                   That will be the beginning."

                         (Louis L'Amour)