Re: cutting out floorpans

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: cutting out floorpans
From: "Pat and Kammy Willems" <pwillems@cyberramp.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 19:08:21 -0500
Patrick,
You have already gotten some replies.  I will add my $0.02 if that is OK.
This may be obvious but I will state it anyway-- I recommend you do one side
at a time and also make sure you have the door openings braced.  You don't
want the tub to be misaligned when you weld in the new floor plans.

Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil> wrote

>  i have started drilling out some of the spot welds and
>thought I should stop and ask some advice.  Is it bad to drill all the way
>through both panels?  I have not been able to consistently drill out the
>welds, without doing this.  How do you repair this later when you have a
>hole staring at you.

You can drill through in a lot of cases.  For example if you are replacing
the outer sill and leaving the inner sill, you drill through and then plug
weld from the inside to the new outer sill.  Depends on your situation and
what panels you replace.  If you have a hole, plug weld it.

I have the Eastwood spot weld cutter with the center guide and it is OK but
occasionally the center guide gets stuck in the retracted position and I
have to take it apart.  I bought the other cutter but have not yet tried it
out--I will let you know how it does in the next few days.

>i have begun to drill out the braces that go across the floorboard, right
>in front of the seat.  My next step was to drill out the sills and rockers
>on the sides, (I will probably leave the rockers in place and just replace
>the inner and outer sills, along with the floorpans. and then finally cut
>the floorpans.  What is the best way to cut the pans to allow for
>replacement, and what is the best way of rewelding them, overlap?
>butt-joint? If you don't have a spot welder, would it work to seam weld?
>Thanks in advance.

I overlapped the edges and welded the seams.

Good Luck

Pat
'72 Spit Mk IV