Help! Cooking Battery

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Help! Cooking Battery
From: Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:16:48 -0400
Fellow listers,

On my last two trips home from work (~30-35 miles - backroads 90 mins), I
started smelling...rotten eggs!  The first time, I couldn't locate the
smell after I got her home.  Last night, it happened again and I tracked it
to the battery.  Yeah, it contains Sulfuric Acid.  It was also hissing
pretty good by the time I got it home.  After about 2 hours it stopped, and
I noticed that it must have bubbled over the edge a little bit, too.

So...what is this; OVERCHARGING?  It doesn't seem to happen unless the car
is running for over an hour continuously - well, I guess it doesn't get bad
enough until that time.  FWIW, I do have one accessory that may be drawing
~19 amps (may be peak, though), at least that's what the specs say (an
amplifier that mysteriously seems to cut in and out a lot - it runs fine
when the car is off, though).

Would the amp drawing too much current cause the overcharging?  I doubt it.
Or...what else?  Is it just the voltage regulator - and did I ruin it by
drawing too much current????

Any help would be appreciated.

John Cousins