Re: cutting out floorpans

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2),
Subject: Re: cutting out floorpans
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 02:33:01 GMT
Patrick writes...

>Okay, so I am now tediously beginning the job of removing my floor pans to
>be replaced.  i have started drilling out some of the spot welds and
>thought I should stop and ask some advice.  Is it bad to drill all the way
>through both panels?

Yeah...try not to do this if you an avoid it.  As John says, there's a
special spot weld cutter you can buy that will make this task easier.

Eastwood sells two types...I one I tried has the spring loaded pilot
with replaceable cutters.  I thought it worked very well.  They also
sell a "one piece" type that looks more like a counter bore bit.  I
can't comment on this one...never used it.

>  I have not been able to consistently drill out the
>welds, without doing this.  How do you repair this later when you have a
>hole staring at you.

If you're really a pro with that welder you might be able to fill the
hole just as it is.  If your a klutz like me you'll have better luck
backing it up with a piece of brass....if you can get behind it, that
is.  The weld won't stick to the brass and you can fill the hole
without burn through.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits