GT6+ rear hub problem

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6+ rear hub problem
From: Thomas Carney <gt6in@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 11:35:17 -0700 (PDT)
  Once again I am having problems with the rear end on my GT6.  I need
some help on pinpointing if at all possible since I am at school and a
mechanic will have to look at it.  The other day I was driving and the
car started swaying back and forth really fast at moments. So I got
out of the car because I thought maybe the lug nuts were coming lose
as they sometimes tend to on magnesium rims with lug spacer , that I
hear are illegal now..  Anyway it turns out that big nut on the end of
the axle was very loose!  So I jacked the car up and tightened it.
The hub probably moved in about 1/2 of an inch.  Hoping that this
would solve my swaying problem I went off. It did slove that, but now
there is this awful rubbing noise that vibrates the entire car.  And
the noise is relative to the tire speed.  So I jacked up the car again
and found that it comes from the same side that I had just tightend
the nut on.  I know that there is something with bearing end-float in
the hub and all.  Perhaps my bearings got screwed up in the process.
Any ideas??
TIA
Tom