Tub swap

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tub swap
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 03:05:29 EDT
Fellow Listers,

Ok, I just bought one parts car (a '78 Spit) and then decided to fix it up as
a driver.  I haven't started yet because I am in the process of moving, but
I'm itchin' to start.  Anyway I digress.  I found another car (a '76 spit)
that has really good parts potential.  The PO (actually still the "O") has
torn it up pretty good.  He and a friend rebuilt the engine then the friend
moved and left him all alone.  I don't think he knows how to put it all back
together.  The tub is in very good condition but needs a paint job real bad.
It has primer over the original paint.

OK, now I'm getting to the point.  The chassis has seen better days, so I
would like to transplant the tub of the 76 onto my 73 chassis after it has
been stripped and painted.  Are there any complications in doing this?  How
difficult a task is this?  Are the chassis the same for both years?  Any
references on the web for this procedure?  When all is said and done will the
car be a 76 or a 73?

Thanks as always,
David Gates
'73 Spit 1500
'78 Spit 1500
'76 Spit 1500 (soon - help I have been aflicted by the dreaded spitfire
collectors syndrome)
Hawaii
http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/index.htm