Overdrive electrical connections

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overdrive electrical connections
From: Martin Hargreaves <martin@datamodl.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 00:19:34 +0100 (BST)
Hi,

I'm new to the list, but I have a question. I have a 1970 Mk III Spitfire -
over
the years most of it's parts seem to have been replaced, including the gearbox
and overdrive unit.

I think the gearbox and O/D are from a 1500, it seems to have synchro on first
gear. I got the car about three months ago - the PO hadn't connected various
things after new parts had gone in, including the overdrive unit.

The wires I'm left with are as follows - coming out from under (and I presume
going to the O/D or somewhere down there). Two wires ending in bullet
connectors
- both red, and two more wires ending in a single spade connector. Coming from
the switch I have two wires with bullet connectors - these I think are yellow
with a brown stripe.

Can anyone help me with what goes where, or what voltages I should epect where
under what conditions? I've looked in the service manual and it's not clear
from
that how to connect this. Also I'm not sure why I have this other two wires,
that go to the same spade connector? Earth? The red wires may have been put in
by the PO when the unit was installed, so maybe they should be a different
colour?

One of the other things that was changed was the distributor - from a Mk III
one
with a mechanical drive for the rev counter, to a later model, with an
electrical pickup. I've decided to get a rev counter to fit the dizzy, rather
than the other way around. Can anyone tell me if the later revcounters look the
same? Jaeger thing, round with a chrome surround? Thanks.

I've put together a small web page, with some photos at:

http://www.datamodl.demon.co.uk/scans/spitfire/

Regards,

Martin.

#            Martin Hargreaves (Director/Consultant)              #
#       Datamodel Ltd - Open Systems Management and Security      #
# martin@datamodl.demon.co.uk     http://www.datamodl.demon.co.uk #