Re: Electrical Woes - thanks Lucas!

To: Tustin Borg <Tustin@xmission.com>
Subject: Re: Electrical Woes - thanks Lucas!
From: Ron Fowler <triumph@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 07:28:17 -0400
Tustin Borg wrote:

......Then I could always turn the key and get
> one click from the solenoid.  When that click occured, the voltage dropped
> instantly, and consistently, to 9V......

> During the clutch job, the only way the electrical system was touched (as
> far as I know) was the disconnection of the battery, the "sliding out" and
> replacement of the starter, and the 2 wires that connect to the switch that
> turns on the reverse lamps.  I checked the later, and they came on fine.
>
> Starter?  No - that wouldn't explain the quirky voltage readings.  Solenoid?
> Nope - tried bypassing it, to no avain. Any ideas?  I'm out.
>
> -Tustin
> '67 Spit (FD2045L)

Tustin,

I had a similar problem once.  I found that the positive terminal on the
starter was not making contact with the internal components (It may have
turned or been damaged when the positive wire was removed/replaced).
Try rotating the terminal a little bit at a time and then test to see if
it will start.  Actually, if the positive terminal is shorting out to
the starter case/etc that might explain the quirky voltage readings.

Good luck,

Ron Fowler
'80 Spit & 3 Wedges (The $150 Coupe is running now!)