Re: Hood pin doughnuts

To: "Neil McAllister" <neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hood pin doughnuts
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 22:24:58 -0400
At 03:30 PM 9/8/98 -800, Neil McAllister wrote:
>Does anyone know of a source/supplier for the rubber doughnuts which are
located
>on the sides of the firewall into which the hood pins go? (To fit a 1980
1500).

Ask a Cop!  (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

> Both Moss and Victoria British carry the pins but as far as I can tell not
>the doughnuts (probably not the technical name).  Looks like somebody greased
>mine at one time and they have turned to mush.

Sounds to me as if you (or the DPO) have installed something different than
the original design. (My Spit had the wrong stuff installed too when I got
it.)

The bonnet locating rubber "cones" (adjustable left & right) point down
into their metal "sockets", which are mounted on the sides of the firewall
as you say, and adjust fore-and-aft.   [The Cones are on page 50, item 25,
of the Vicky Brit catalogue.]

If you decide to order new cones (recommended), take a good look at the
lock plates (item 13).  The hook on the hood latches wears this piece out,
and can even cut them in two.   Feel underneath the plate for the notch
that the hook digs  into it.

Later,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO