Re: Brake and tail lights

To: Jim Dwyer <jimdwye@enoreo.on.ca>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake and tail lights
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 21:29:05 -0400
At 09:10 PM 9/5/98 -0400, Jim Dwyer wrote:
>I have a '76 1500.  When I put on the brake the drivers rear brake light
>comes on bright but the passenger light is dull.  If the running lights
>are on and I apply the brake the passenger brake and tail lights go out
>and the drivers side works normally.  Any Ideas on what is causing this
>and possible solutions?

First thing I would do is check the crimps on ALL the bulb sockets in both
taillight assemblies.   They often corrode and provide poor ground paths.
Look inside the bulb socket for rust too.  I have also cleaned the socket
connections and crimps with a red sauce called "De-Oxit", available in
electronics stores.

Next I would certainly replace BOTH driver and passenger side light bulbs.
 I have seen several over the years that have been wired "backwards" (the
bright filament lights when the dim one should and vice versa.)

I am assuming that  this happened on its own, and that neither you or the
DPO mis-connected any wires or left off any grounds.  If you think that
could be the case, compare left and right sides to each other or check
against a service manual.

Let us know the results and the cause!

Cheers,

Atwell Haines