Installation of dual carbs continued...

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Installation of dual carbs continued...
From: Michael Thomas <mathomas@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:12:51 -0400
Sounds like the concensous is that the carbs are HIF4's.  The only
labelling on them shows:  "AUD493R" on the small tags bolted to the
dashpot, "PDC 1" cast on one of the sides of the body, and "SU
Carburretter Co., Birmingham" on the bottom.  The bore size is 1-1/2"
and they are currently mounted to a British Leyland manifold that is a
perfect fit to the 1500 engine.

Does anyone have any way of verifying the model numbers?  Are they maybe
off of an MG Midget (since they have the 1500 engine)?

I will do my best in minimizing problems with the emissions plumbing.  I
don't know how soon emission testing is starting here in Ontario, so I
hope that all this work will not make the car too dirty.  The only thing
I have heard about testing is that there is a 25 year old limit on when
cars are above the law, so I hope that I can be safe for a few years...

The engine is almost running:  I haven't got the choke hooked up, but
the engine caught with me holding the choke open manually, but the revs
got up to high.  Little bit of adjustment and making sure everything is
hooked up properly and away I go!  Of course, I have to try to get ahold
of information on the proper tuning of the carbs to get it running
perfectly...

Thanks for everybody's help!

Mike.