Re: Engine Block Repair.

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Block Repair.
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:54:18 EDT
Thanks James,

I found the bolt you described and removed it.  Dry.  In fact there was a lot
of dirt in the hole.  I tried to clean it out with a coat hanger but it did
not seem to go anywhere.  I even tried to put the hanger down the water
channel directly above it.  The wire went all the way down to the hole, but
did not poke through, it must be blocked pretty good.  I think I have
convinced myself that I would just be better off with a "new" block.

Joe, can you find out how much it would cost to ship yours?  Nothing express
or anything just a slow boat, what ever is cheap.  Although I do drive the car
everyday (or I should say I used to) I have another car and can get along
without the Spitfire just fine while I rebuild it, also I will probably not be
able to afford it until 15 July, so no hurry. My plan is to open it up and
replace most of the wearable items (main and connecting rod bearings, rings
etc) while its on the bench.  I have never torn into the bottom half of an
engine before so I am excited to learn.  I hope the list can put up with lots
of stupid questions while I get this done.

Thanks,
David Gates
'73 Spit 1500 (prepping for surgery)
Hawaii