Re: Maryland State Inspections

To: Tommy Morris <morris@tmed.tatrc.org>
Subject: Re: Maryland State Inspections
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:20:44 -0700
Tommy,
I used to experience the same thing when I liven in Texas.  Service
stations and auto repair shops would become certified inspection
stations and then view this as a license to steal.  But many others were
honest and did a good job.

You have to find one that is in the latter category.

The other end of the spectrum is Washington State.  They don't require
vehicle safety inspections at all here.  Only in major metropolitan
areas do they even require Emissions testing.  The result is cars that
are literally falling apart clogging the roads.  It is not uncommon to
be blinded by an oncoming car with his headlights dipped.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Tommy Morris wrote:

>         I just wanted to say that Maryland State inspections are a great
>rippoff
> and ask if anyone else experienced these type of State Scams. I took my 77
> Spit in yesterday to Dodsons Texaco in Frederick MD and it failed
> miserabley. They failed it for no high beam indicator light, no hand brake
> warning light, torn boots/bad ball joints (on new balljoints??), a clutch
> safety switch??(I couldn't find documentation that a 1977 spit even had
> one)and a couple other questionable items in addition the inspector Chris
> told me he couldn't finish the inspection because he couldn't find the brake
> specs for the Spitfire in his book. I got charged $69.95 for the inspection
> and an offer for them to repair these things for a mere $700.00.
>
>         My friend took her 1993 ford into Krietz auto repair to get hers
>inspected
> this car had about 40,000 mi on it and has been dealer maintained....It
> failed because they said her E-brake cable ends needed lubricated????
> anyways they charged her $45.00 for the inspection and $180.00 to lubricate
> the cable ends????
>
>         The dealer where I bought my wifes car did a Maryland inspection on
>the car
> and said it was good. I noticed while I was driving that the brakes made a
> horriffic noise, when I had asked them about it the mechanic found that not
> only was the front rotors warped by 1/2" the pads were metal to metal??
>
> Has anyone ever experienced this type of scam and does anyone now who is
> supposed to insure quality assurance on State Inspectors?
>
> Does anyone on the list know what Items are required on a 1977 triumph
> Spitfire to include smog equipment to pass Maryland State inspections.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tommy

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer