DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 15:17:38
I have some questions about my differential (79 Spit) and I was hoping
someone could help me.  I removed and disassembled my diff to replace the
oil seals and try to solve some problems.  I disassembled it only as far as
the Haynes manual recommended, which involves removing the input and output
shafts and opening the case.  I had noticed that when the output shafts
were turned there seemed to be a slight clicking, it did not turn real
smooth.  If I turned the input shaft it was silky smooth.  The bearings
seem to be in good shape though?  A friend said that might have do with the
limited slip in the rear end, or simply just the gears clicking as they
engage. (the noise/vibration does seem to originate from the gears).  Does
this sound right?  All the gears seem to be in great shape, and if I turn
the input shaft it only takes a couple of degrees to engage the gears.
What are some other things to look for in the diff?

My next question is:  If I don't have to, I don't want to disassemble the
diff any further but I do want to clean it out with solvent, are the inner
bearings sealed or will I flush out the bearing grease and have to repack
them (hence have to disassemble further)  Any easy answers?

#3  Which gear ratio is for an overdrive spit

#4  What is the take on treating the gears in the differential with teflon
(PTFE)?

I appreciate all the help I can get!!!!!

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spit