Re: brake adjustment update

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil
Subject: Re: brake adjustment update
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:46:18 -0400 ()
On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil wrote:

> ...I do have a few questions, Is it possible to adjust [Spitfire rear
> brakes] with the tires on (I couldn't seem to get to the screws)?

I've always used what I guess is technically a spoke wrench to adjust
mine. It can be done easily with tires/wheels in place. The wrench is made
by Snap On, is about 8-9" long(?), and has very deep jaws that keep the
wrench from slipping and/or rounding off a stubborn adjustor peg. The
length also provides for a good bit of leverage, which makes the
adjustment (and the "feel" of the adjustment) quite simple.

> How often should I have to adjust them?

Difficult to say. "As needed" would be the flippant, smart-ass answer :-),
but probably about every 5000 miles or so, maybe a bit less. Certainly any
noticeable increase in travel of either brake pedal or handbrake lever
would be a signal to adjust again.

> And is there an automatic adjustment
> available on any of these cars?

No, save for the very last of the GT6 Mk.3 models, which did have
self-adjusting rear brakes (FWIW). A dubious benefit, IMHO.

--Andy