oil pressure

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: oil pressure
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 06:09:35
Greetings,

I have a couple of quick questions on oil and oil pressure.  According to
what I can find the factory recommendations were for 20w50 oil on my '79
Spitfire.  I have a oil gauge on my dash (the type with the hose running up
to the back)  When I first start up in the morning the pressure goes right
up to about 50 and stays there, after warming up the pressure drops to
about 15 at idle and will rise up to just over 50 while driving.  The
engine is in great condition (minus a seriously leaking front oil seal that
needs replaced pretty badly) and it runs great.  I did use some stop leak
about 1000 miles ago (ok, not my greatest move)  Are these pressures normal
or is something goofed!

I appreciate your help,
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire - daily driver and hoping to keep it that way!