Re: Point Gap quick question

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Point Gap quick question
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 12:46:19 -0400
At 08:15 PM 4/25/98 -0600, Brad Kahler wrote:
>Hey listers,
>
>Quick question on point gaps.  If I just readjust the point gap on my
>spitfire distributor do I have to readjust the carbs?  I know I have
>to do the timing adjustment but I'm trying to avoid doing the carbs
>because I think they are adjusted properly.

IMO as long as you maintain the same idle speed after the points/timing
adjustment you will be all right.   "Constant depression" carbs such as the
SU and Stromberg seem to rely on intake velocity to meter fuel.

Now if you change air cleaner elements you will have readjust (as many
listers have found out).

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the local speed limits?"