Re: A quick question

To: "Scott Decker" <sdecker@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: A quick question
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:57:12 -0700
Scott writes:
>Don't mean to bother you with this,
    <  snip  >
>I'm about to rebuild the diff and gearbox and am
>soliciting input for ways to strengthen them above the factory
>'made-from-toothpicks' level.  Are there any common methods of doing this
>that you are aware of, or can they possibly be replaced by stronger (TR6)
>type components without major rework?  I'm pretty handy (as are most people
>on the list :-)) but don't have access to a welder or the expertise to use
>it even if I did!
   <  snip  >
**********************************
Scott,
I'm afraid that there is not a whole lot you can do without a lot of
work/modification as far as replacing with TR6 or other suitable
components.  Even though they share the same engine the tranny is
considerably bigger with the starter on the opposite side if I remember
correctly, and would not be a simple bolt in swap.  As far as the rear end
goes, about the only thing that you can do to strengthen it would be to
replace the carrier casting with one from a TR7 with the 3.27 gear set (if
those are the ratios you want), or 76 and later Spitfire diff (or carrier
casting).  But replacing the carrier casting also requires a fair bit of
specialized work-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)