(Fwd) Re: License Plate Mounting

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: (Fwd) Re: License Plate Mounting
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:40:24 -0600
Hi Kirk,

> I currently have my front plate mounted in the middle of the plate.
> I got a chrome frame to stiffen the plate and then drilled two holes
> directly through the plate.  This is a compromise between the lip
> dragging and dorky look. My Rear plate is mounted with rubber
> gaskets under a aluminum backing plate that prevents the paint from
> being damaged. You can see pictures of the mounts on my web page at:
> http://www.beachnet.com/~crawford/spitfire/ I also have an older
> picture of my spit that shows what happens when you mount it to the
> front from the upper two holes on the plate.

I checked your site out, nice looking Spit.  I seem to remember my 1st
spitfire 20 years ago always having a bent front plate which is what
really prompted my request.   I'll probably go out frame hunting a
little later this evening.  When you say rubber gasket, are you
referring to the self stick on one side like weather stripping?  That
flashed to mind after I read your post above.

Thanks for the feed back.

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (Waiting for license plates now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame back in garage and ready to
paint)