Gearboxes / suspension

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gearboxes / suspension
From: "Neil Penberthy" <neil@liant.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:30:51 -0500
My understanding is that the gearboxes changed when the UK models
went to the 1500 motor in 1975. The 73/74 US models had a 3 rail 'box
and a larger clutch diameter. VB lists 3 clutches for MkIV/1500s, for
this reason.

James was asking abnout the new suspension he spent his hard earned
on. I rebuilt mine recently. Straight forward, except none of the
spring compressors I have (3) would compress the spring far enough.
Insufficent clearence between the shock and the spring. I recommend
the local suspension shop with a press type. Well worth the $10.

In driving terms the ride height change was dramatic. I used standard
type shocks and springs because theses Texas roads did not like my
 old and tired suspension. I have always wanted fancy Konis or
whatever but decided that some ride comfort would be better.  I did
not find any wear in the A arm bushings which suprised me.

Regards

Neil