Re: Spit Shift Kit Praise

To: Revere W Gurley <REEGURLEY@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Spit Shift Kit Praise
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 10:43:43 -0700
Ree and all.

It is generally accepted that the single rail transmissions replaced the
3-rail ones during the switchover to the 1500 Model.  However there are
a few exceptions that I have found.  These are primarily in the US 1500
models that were assembled in Belgium.  (1FM comm #'s)  They also had a
few other hold over items from the MkIV's that are generally
undocumented.

Two cases in point are Tom O'Malley's 1975 and a '75 parts car that I
dismantled last year. (Tom indicates that he has since changed out his
3-rail to a single rail).

Regards,
Joe Curry

Revere W Gurley wrote:

> Tom -
>      My PO early-74 had the 3-rail; my 78 has the single-rail.  I believe
> the switch occurred fairly early into the 1974 model run.  Your 78 (if not
> modified) should have the single-rail.
>      If REVERSE is to the right of THIRD, it's a single-rail; if REVERSE is
> to the left of FIRST, it's a 3-rail.
>
> Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD, USA
> 78 Spit FM73070U O

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer