Re: [Shop-talk] bogus emails

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] bogus emails
From: Gene Garrison <gene@garrison-grafixx.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:02:25 -0700

--------------G0ocXo5d480vAz7llq6cjOrM

I second the use of Thunderbird.  Except that I use it's adaptive
(learning) spam filter, so that it moves mails that it thinks are spam
into a spam filter.  And then I go in every few weeks and skim through
them and "unspam" any that weren't spam.  Takes 5 minutes.  And helps
train the filter.

And I use this computer for researching shop tools and techniques.  :)

- GeneG

On 9/14/22 17:17, Bob Spidell wrote:
> gmail is fine if you don't mind Google reading, analyzing and
> categorizing your email:
>
> https://securityboulevard.com/2019/11/does-google-read-your-email/
>
> I use Thunderbird--open source client from the Mozilla people--in POP
> mode and every time I get a spam email (20 or so a day), I create a
> filter on the major domain of the sender. It's an inconvenience, but
> at least I get the satisfaction that the next garbage that site sends
> goes straight to a local trash folder. T-Bird also has a decent calendar.
>

> On 9/14/2022 3:19 PM, Paul Parkanzky wrote:
>> Get yourself a Gmail account. 99.9% of that stuff gets filtered right
>> out.
>>
>> Also, donâ??t click those links!!!
>>
>> -Paul
>>
>>> On Sep 14, 2022, at 5:59 PM, john niolon <jniolon@att.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> over the last week or so I've been getting emails... anywhere from 6
>>> to20 a day... from people I don't know from web addresses
>>> that aren't valid offering me tremendous deals on everything
>>> from cigars to 30 dollar 20 draw tool boxes to campers to 1000
>>> dollar cookware sets...
>>> I know these are all bogus and if I try to go to one of the sites my
>>> malware software slaps me
>>> any way to stop block this crap...  shop content...it happens on the
>>> pc in the shop
>>> john

--------------G0ocXo5d480vAz7llq6cjOrM

  <head>
  </head>
      (learning) spam filter, so that it moves mails that it thinks are
      spam into a spam filter.  And then I go in every few weeks and
      skim through them and "unspam" any that weren't spam.  Takes 5
      minutes.  And helps train the filter.</p>
      techniques.  :)</p>
      cite="mid:572ba617-c55f-99fb-50cf-54af813109e0@comcast.net">
      gmail is fine if you don't mind Google reading, analyzing and
      categorizing your email:<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://securityboulevard.com/2019/11/does-google-read-your-email/";

moz-do-not-send="true">https://securityboulevard.com/2019/11/does-google-read-your-email/</a><br>
      I use Thunderbird--open source client from the Mozilla people--in
      POP mode and every time I get a spam email (20 or so a day), I
      create a filter on the major domain of the sender. It's an
      inconvenience, but at least I get the satisfaction that the next
      garbage that site sends goes straight to a local trash folder.
      T-Bird also has a decent calendar.<br>
        wrote:<br>
        cite="mid:D74F161C-0728-4269-B81C-C0790B59E6C9@gmail.com">
          charset=UTF-8">
        Get yourself a Gmail account. 99.9% of that stuff gets filtered
        right out.
              niolon <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                href="mailto:jniolon@att.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;jniolon@att.net&gt;</a>
              wrote:<br>
                  been getting emails... anywhere from 6 to20 a day...
                  from people I don't know from web addresses</font></div>
                  tremendous deals on everything </font></div>
                  draw tool boxes to campers to 1000 dollar </font><font
                  face="Segoe UI">cookware sets... </font></div>
                  if I try to go to one of the sites my malware software
                  slaps me </font></div>
                  crap...  shop content...it happens on the pc in the
                  shop</font></div>
        <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>