Re: [Shop-talk] Outdoor long term car storage

To: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Outdoor long term car storage
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:35:00 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

> People wrote:

>  renting a storage space

This is tops on the list, and I have an inquiry into the place where I planned
on sticking the tools and guitars (climate controlled). A non
climate-controlled vehicle spot is $340/mo, but if it's buffered enough from
the direct atmosphere, like a garge-in-a-garage, it might work for everything,
providing there's an open spot (Boston area space is hard to find especially
during moving season). I'm already planning on spending $200/mo for the tools &
guitars so $140 for a car is easy.

> Shipping container?

Their land isn't THAT big, but he might go for it :-)  However,  given my
experience having a motorcycle completely oxidize in my parrents' tin shed
onver one year, I want enough of a buffer that the parts can warm before the
humidity comes in. A gigantic steel box seems like the exact opposite of that.

> what are your tools and car worth to you?

The $100,000 question. If I knew how long they'd be stored, the answer would be
easier. The tools are half my dad's, so there's emotional value plus the
quality. Striclty economically, if I lost everything, I could replace the stuff
I actually use for $500 or so. I just gave away 6 (SIX!) claw hammers (and
spotted another one the realtor shoved into teh BBQ cabinet. There's some
excess and redundancy and maybe hoarding :-)

The car is a low mileage wagon with a stick, last year with the 1.8. So it's a
rare car I don't want to have to re-find, but I also really don't want to have
to debug (literally and figuratively) after a winter in storage, so seling or
loaning it out isn't off the table.

jim