Re: [Shop-talk] LED Headlamps

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] LED Headlamps
From: Eric Russell <ejrussell61@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 13:35:14 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000970f7c05bdaacaa1

Sorry, I can't help but be reminded of the Hazard Fraught 'Moron Lamp'...

https://imgur.com/gallery/JcG3B

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 1:06 PM David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> One other thing: most headsets using regular batteries are unregulated.
> They will continue to put out light way past the point the batteries woul=
> be dead in another application. It won=E2=80=99t be much light, but it is=
 still on.
> Try it with fresh batteries.  I run into this myself from time to time, a=
nd
> I know it happens, because it happens gradually.
>
> On Mar 16, 2021, at 11:57, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB=BF That is a good point(s). A lot of the descriptions seemed slant=
ed
> towards running in the dark--I don't do that, unless someone's chasing
> me--and doing realistic things in a shop is kind of an afterthought.
> I tried using what appears to be a decent-quality headset--brand
> unknown--but there just wasn't enough illumination when I was in the grea=
se
> pit looking for a socket and extension I'd dropped into the engine bay. I
> had to resort to using a small (2AA) LED flashlight, which was the right
> amount of light but, obviously, wasn't convenient to use when I found the
> socket and needed two hands to retrieve it. Glare isn't a huge issue
> looking into an engine bay; at least, on my mostly stock cars without
> chrome everything.
>

> On 3/16/2021 9:19 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
>

> On Mar 15, 2021, at 23:30, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
> <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB=BF Listers,
>
> After realizing that holding a small flashlight with my teeth was probabl=
> a bad idea (and painful), I decided I needed a *good* headband
> flashlight. I have a couple cheap ones, but they never seem to put out
> enough light for working on cars in a dark shop or in the grease pit. I s=
ee
> people using them on the tube, and they seem to work, but the two I
> have--both powered by a couple AAAs--aren't even as powerful as the cheap
> flashlights Harbor Freight gives away (which work a couple times then qui=
t).

> I have a couple cheap ones I bought at Home Depot, from the Father=E2=80=
=99s Day
> special stuff at the front oy the store.  They have lasted several years,
> but of course, have never been available since.
>
> My opinion about headlamps in the shop and for home improvement stuff is
> that about 150 lumens is enough, more than that, you blind yourself with
> reflection and glare.  You also want a pretty floody b=C3=A9am spread, be=
cause
> it makes it easier t w on stuff you can=E2=80=99t quite see straight on. =
I also o
> strongly prefer lights that split the battery from the light. They are mo=
re
> comfortable, stay on better, and don=E2=80=99t stick out as far, so you d=
on=E2=80=99t hit
> them on stuff.  I also prefer regular batteries, because you can carry
> spares, and don=E2=80=99t need a special charger. (I use NiMh cells, not =
throwaway
> ones).
>
> This is a different use case than what campers or divers or trail runners
> want, which is something to watch out for.

--=20
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--000000000000970f7c05bdaacaa1

"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 1:06 PM David Scheidt &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ckquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left=
:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D=
"ltr">One other thing: most headsets using regular batteries are unregulate=
d. They will continue to put out light way past the point the batteries wou=
ld be dead in another application. It won=E2=80=99t be much light, but it i=
s still on. Try it with fresh batteries.=C2=A0 I run into this myself from =
time to time, and I know it happens, because it happens gradually.=C2=A0</d=
, Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank"=
type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF
 =20
   =20
 =20
 =20
    That is a good point(s). A lot of the descriptions seemed slanted
    towards running in the dark--I don&#39;t do that, unless someone&#39;s
    chasing me--and doing realistic things in a shop is kind of an
    afterthought.<br>
    I tried using what appears to be a decent-quality headset--brand
    unknown--but there just wasn&#39;t enough illumination when I was in th=
    grease pit looking for a socket and extension I&#39;d dropped into the
    engine bay. I had to resort to using a small (2AA) LED flashlight,
    which was the right amount of light but, obviously, wasn&#39;t
    convenient to use when I found the socket and needed two hands to
    retrieve it. Glare isn&#39;t a huge issue looking into an engine bay; a=
    least, on my mostly stock cars without chrome everything.<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
idell@comcast.net&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
         =20
          Listers,<br>
          After realizing that holding a small flashlight with my teeth
          was probably a bad idea (and painful), I decided I needed a <i>go=
od</i>
          headband flashlight. I have a couple cheap ones, but they
          never seem to put out enough light for working on cars in a
          dark shop or in the grease pit. I see people using them on the
          tube, and they seem to work, but the two I have--both powered
          by a couple AAAs--aren&#39;t even as powerful as the cheap
          flashlights Harbor Freight gives away (which work a couple
          times then quit).</div>
        Father=E2=80=99s Day special stuff at the front oy the store.=C2=A0=
 They have
        lasted several years, but of course, have never been available
        since.=C2=A0</div>
        improvement stuff is that about 150 lumens is enough, more than
        that, you blind yourself with reflection and glare.=C2=A0 You also
        want a pretty floody b=C3=A9am spread, because it makes it easier t=
        on stuff you can=E2=80=99t quite see straight on. I also o strongly
        prefer lights that split the battery from the light. They are
        more comfortable, stay on better, and don=E2=80=99t stick out as fa=
r, so
        you don=E2=80=99t hit them on stuff.=C2=A0 I also prefer regular ba=
tteries,
        because you can carry spares, and don=E2=80=99t need a special char=
ger.
        (I use NiMh cells, not throwaway ones). =C2=A0=C2=A0</div>
        trail runners want, which is something to watch out for. =C2=A0</di=
v>
 =20

ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
alk/ejrussell61@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/ejrussell61@gmail.com</a><br>
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell<div>Mebane, NC</di=
v></div></div>

--000000000000970f7c05bdaacaa1--

--===============8026991243353239894==

--===============8026991243353239894==--