Re: [Shop-talk] Cooling of air compressor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cooling of air compressor
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 20:50:39 -0400
I use my small 25 gallon air compressor to winterize my sprinkler
system.  The pros use a tow-behind compressor that produces enough cfm
that they can blow out each zone in a minute or less.  My little
compressor can't come close to that so it takes 4-5 tank-fulls per
zone.  So the compressor winds up running for 90+ minutes continuously
while I cycle through the system.  One year I noticed the compressor
fins were so hot that I couldn't touch them for more than a second or
so. Ever since then, I've aimed an 18" metal floor fan at the compressor
when I need to run it continuously like that.  Now the compressor
housing and motor don't go above lukewarm to the touch.

I don't know if it's absolutely necessary but I have to think that
cooler is better in this case.