Re: [Shop-talk] Two SSRs from one PID controller

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Two SSRs from one PID controller
From: Mark Miller <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 23:55:52 -0700
Short answer: yes, you can run them successfully in parallel. The PID
relay control output puts out 12V at up to 30mA.  The relays turn on
with a minimum of 3V (max 32V) applied, and at a low current.  So 12V is
good (more than 3, less than 32), and the only issue is if 30mA, or 15mA
per relay, is enough to trigger it. And it is.  This particular one does
not spec the current to turn on but I looked at one from a 'real'
supplier (Omega) and they spec a max of 14mA (and it's only that high
because there is an LED in their relay showing that it is on).  Think
about plugging two lamps into a wall outlet: it's fine as long as you do
not draw too many amps - you have 15 or 20A max.  2 lights? OK (less
than an amp each).  2 toaster ovens? Not so good (12-14 amps each).
These are more lampish.  The output of the relays are where the large
power will be controlled (which is why you use the relays).

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
markmiller@threeboysfarm.com