Re: [Shop-talk] another toilet issue

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] another toilet issue
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 20:34:24 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=goRwVV0zzyAurarqB/Q0BAF0Y9KuYuvTChnVTADbN8hK1lH5s40INk7ALjFzhnZqXDPYjSr9BmNHqZuToQtAYpZL46cK53a99cs5nOIzk9GQmmSCuW/8WFAsMmnN1eHBkmgAD8b/3Lt+yHoqe6g+Zj4oQok6vRyQ/oacTjZw0cuEtYuCMMIWrR0K+4lOTrhoRJZJdHy8TGYcIwI7R0qAmHGFRTX5jamZPfTJCWYdmT7elbHLJ+MWNU8bYKt1FWxjL+6PX6vV9qO29lkPAqqxrTBGone3Ybcn2alH0SmJL47dGNHqoTvX3btpdehkDz3C1rrpRe/VN+JLoBmHwAXOqg==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------C6954A561C0D31BDEC35BC1F

Tim - I have a toilet that acts similar when clogged.  The previous
owner of my house remodeled the bathroom and moved the toilet. Since it
is a downstairs bathroom, installing a vent on the new wall was a
challenge, so it is actually unvented.  The sink and tub have never been
a problem

If it starts to drain slow and is still draining enough to get down to
the normal level, the first thing I try is to pour a 5 gallon bucket of
water from chest level.  This makes for extra pressure and will clear a
partial biological blockage.  Be prepared to stop the pour if the water
backs up.

My second step is to let the bowl sit full of water almost to the bottom
of the brim for an hour or so.  Sometimes this works enough to repeat
the bucket of water.

My third step is the plunger.  I was told by a plumber to push the
plunger down slowly then pull up fast.  The idea is that the blockage
might be pulled up a little rather than be compacted.

I had a neighbor that lived alone and had a problem similar to yours.
His problem was the cap to a can of shaving cream stuck in the toilet trap.

If the above doesn't work, I second the reply to try a toilet auger.  It
will clear blockage in the trap and the first foot or two of drain
pipe.  I have an older version of this one
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-ft-Toilet-Auger-82-972-111/301879203
($10).

I also second the reply you had about the endoscope.  I have a wifi one
that connects to my cell phone that was about $35.  I would expect that
you should be able to push it through the toilet.  If it is safe to be
on your roof, you could also run it down your vent stacks to look for
any blockage.

Brian

On 8/22/2020 2:38 PM, Tim . wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> While trying to sort the valve on our upstairs toilet, the toilet
> itself now doesn't fully flush. The tank bits cycle, the toilet fills,
> but it only drains slowly. It doesn't "gurgle" (for lack of a better
> term) at the end.
>
> This has been going on for over a week now so I doubt there is
> anything stuck. (no feminine products in use in our house any more so
> that is not an issue.) I've plunged the hell out of it, pushing down
> and also sucking up with plunger. I can't really get a snake to go
> very far into the trap so not much help there.
>
> I remember reading years ago that a clogged or compromised vent can
> affect sink drainage. Is it possible that this issue is affecting this
> toilet? The sink and tub in the upstairs bathrrom are no affected.
> They both drain fine. Hell, nothing else in the house is affected.
>
> thoughts please?
> thanks
> tim

--------------C6954A561C0D31BDEC35BC1F

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    Tim - I have a toilet that acts similar when clogged.  The previous
    owner of my house remodeled the bathroom and moved the toilet.
    Since it is a downstairs bathroom, installing a vent on the new wall
    was a challenge, so it is actually unvented.  The sink and tub have
    never been a problem<br>
    If it starts to drain slow and is still draining enough to get down
    to the normal level, the first thing I try is to pour a 5 gallon
    bucket of water from chest level.  This makes for extra pressure and
    will clear a partial biological blockage.  Be prepared to stop the
    pour if the water backs up.<br>
    My second step is to let the bowl sit full of water almost to the
    bottom of the brim for an hour or so.  Sometimes this works enough
    to repeat the bucket of water.<br>
    My third step is the plunger.  I was told by a plumber to push the
    plunger down slowly then pull up fast.  The idea is that the
    blockage might be pulled up a little rather than be compacted.<br>
    I had a neighbor that lived alone and had a problem similar to
    yours.  His problem was the cap to a can of shaving cream stuck in
    the toilet trap.<br>
    If the above doesn't work, I second the reply to try a toilet
    auger.  It will clear blockage in the trap and the first foot or two
    of drain pipe.  I have an older version of this one
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-ft-Toilet-Auger-82-972-111/301879203";>https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-ft-Toilet-Auger-82-972-111/301879203</a>
    ($10).<br>
    I also second the reply you had about the endoscope.  I have a wifi
    one that connects to my cell phone that was about $35.  I would
    expect that you should be able to push it through the toilet.  If it
    is safe to be on your roof, you could also run it down your vent
    stacks to look for any blockage.<br>
    Brian<br>
cite="mid:DM5PR0401MB3670E75370D68BA7B8208580B4580@DM5PR0401MB3670.namprd04.prod.outlook.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} </style>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Hey all, </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        While trying to sort the valve on our upstairs toilet, the
        toilet itself now doesn't fully flush. The tank bits cycle, the
        toilet fills, but it only drains slowly. It doesn't "gurgle"
        (for lack of a better term) at the end. </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        This has been going on for over a week now so I doubt there is
        anything stuck. (no feminine products in use in our house any
        more so that is not an issue.) I've plunged the hell out of it,
        pushing down and also sucking up with plunger. I can't really
        get a snake to go very far into the trap so not much help
        there. </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I remember reading years ago that a clogged or compromised vent
        can affect sink drainage. Is it possible that this issue is
        affecting this toilet? The sink and tub in the upstairs bathrrom
        are no affected. They both drain fine. Hell, nothing else in the
        house is affected.</div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        thoughts please?<br>