Re: [Shop-talk] tv - home theater cabling problem

To: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>, Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tv - home theater cabling problem
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 13:52:03 -0500

--0000000000000adef705ad67be9f

I found out that Plex doesn't play nice with MKv files. I may look into
converting them, but for the time being I can play them using VLC. IMO,
this just emphasizes how complex making all of this stuff can be. The next
step over the next couple of days is to integrate a HDMI switch between the
Tiny-PC and the AV receiver and the TV.

Ron

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:47 AM Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Ian. I'll keep your offer in mind. I received the Tiny PC and the
> Monoprice scaler/switch, but haven't plugged the switch into the system
> yet. I'm just moving the HDMI cable from the 4K DVD player to the compute=
r.
> It's best to deal with only one variable at a time, IMO. I've "added" the
> 4K movies and files from the other large drive to the Plex library, but I=
'm
> not getting smooth playback of the 4K files via Plex, however, they play
> fine using VLC! 'Splain that one to me Lucy! I figure I have some Plex
> configuration issues to sort out. It'll come as I learn more, I'm sure.
> Once I get it all working as I want I'll start  getting ready to move the
> hardware to my office, but no big hurry on that, unless the Boss decides
> she wants closets built where the hardware is right now.
>
> Ron
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:21 AM Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.or=
g>
> wrote:
>
>> RD, I=E2=80=99ve had similar challenges with evolving AV tech (4K) and I=
=E2=80=99ve
>> essentially done what you did (Plex server).  I=E2=80=99ve moved all of =
my movies,
>> DVD, pictures, etc. onto a Synology Network Attached Storage (RAID 10) t=
hat
>> runs Plex Server.  I have a mix of clients all over the house, everythin=
>> from mini-PCs, to Amazon Fire sticks/boxes, and Nvidia Shields.  I=E2=80=
=99m not an
>> expert, but I=E2=80=99ve been running Plex for about 10 years now if you=
 have any
>> questions.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ian
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> John & group -
>>>
>>> Things got complicated when I decided to playback 4K movie files from
>>> hard drives or other removable devices. I've got a couple of USB3 8TB
>>> drives full of movies. One is all 4K files. Some of these are formatted
>>> slightly differently than others and require a seperate audio codec. pl=
us
>>> the TV has only 1 USB port. After posting questions to a worldwide medi=
>>> list I've been on since the late '90s when I built my first digital A/V
>>> editing system, the consensus was that I needed a "media player" to con=
nect
>>> the two hard drives to the TV, so I ordered a MyPin M29 media player, $=
60
>>> from Amazon. It supported the file formats I needed, but it wouldn't le=
t me
>>> turn off subtitles/closed captioning (bummer) and I get frequent, subtl=
>>> "stuttering" in the audio (MAJOR bummer). If I plugged the 4K hard driv=
>>> into either my Mac or PC and used VLC, everything worked fine, but I wa=
nt
>>> to watch these movies on the 55 inch in our bedroom. An added problem w=
as
>>> that the output of the MyPin player is HDMI and I was already out of HD=
MI
>>> ports on the TV. So, after several discussions with several folks, I
>>> ordered a Lenovo M75 Tiny mini PC and plan to run Plex server as the co=
re
>>> of a home media server down the road. The hard drives plug into it, and
>>> there's plenty of room for expansion.
>>>
>>> Now, how to get these additional souces into the TV? While working to
>>> connect all of these input devices I noticed that TESmart has a 4 x 1 H=
DMI
>>> switch. I'm using one of their KVM switches to let me control a couple =
of
>>> Macs and a PC with a single keyboard and mouse for some time and it wor=
ks
>>> great. I sent their tech folks a note describing my issues with 4K and =
they
>>> said try it. The switch was $25 and they offer a 30 day return.
>>> Unfortunately it won't work with 4K so it's going back next week. After
>>> talking to a Ford AV systems engineer in Austin that I've worked with
>>> before, I ordered a Monoprice (31057) switch/scaler that Monoprice prom=
ises
>>> will do what I need. It, too, has a 30 return.
>>>
>>> Sorry if i've been a bit long winded but setting up all of these boxe t=
>>> work together, especially with 4K is a bit complex. The reason I'm goin=
>>> through all of this detail is that if anyone's not doing 4K video, all =
of
>>> the simpler routing and switching should work fine. However, if you hav=
>>> ANY thoughts of going to 4K, plan for that now. Hopefully I can save ot=
her
>>> folks some blood, sweat & tears!
>>>
>>> RD

--0000000000000adef705ad67be9f

. I may look into converting them, but for the time being I can play them u=
sing VLC. IMO, this just emphasizes how complex making all of this stuff ca=
n be. The next step over the next couple of days is to integrate a HDMI swi=
il_attr">On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:47 AM Ronnie Day &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Thanks, Ian. I&#=
39;ll keep your offer in mind. I received=C2=A0the Tiny PC and the Monopric=
e scaler/switch, but haven&#39;t plugged the switch into the system yet. I&=
#39;m just moving the HDMI cable from the 4K DVD player to the computer. It=
&#39;s best to deal with only one variable at a time, IMO. I&#39;ve &quot;a=
dded&quot; the 4K movies and files from the other large drive to the Plex l=
ibrary, but I&#39;m not getting smooth playback of the 4K files via Plex, h=
owever, they play fine using VLC! &#39;Splain that one to me Lucy! I figure=
 I have some Plex configuration issues to sort out. It&#39;ll come as I lea=
rn more, I&#39;m sure. Once I get it all working as I want I&#39;ll start=
=C2=A0 getting ready to move the hardware to my office, but no big hurry on=
 that, unless the Boss decides she wants closets built where the hardware i=
e"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:21 AM I=
an McFetridge &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org"; target=3D"_b=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div><div dir=3D"auto">RD, I=E2=80=99ve ha=
d similar challenges with evolving AV tech (4K) and I=E2=80=99ve essentiall=
y done what you did (Plex server).=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99ve moved all of my movie=
s, DVD, pictures, etc. onto a Synology Network Attached Storage (RAID 10) t=
hat runs Plex Server.=C2=A0 I have a mix of clients all over the house, eve=
rything from mini-PCs, to Amazon Fire sticks/boxes, and Nvidia Shields.=C2=
=A0 I=E2=80=99m not an expert, but I=E2=80=99ve been running Plex for about=
 10 years now if you have any questions. =C2=A0</div></div><div dir=3D"auto=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, =
Aug 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Ronnie Day &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ronnie.day@gmail.c=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">John &amp; group=
movie files from hard drives or other removable devices. I&#39;ve got a cou=
ple of USB3 8TB drives full of movies. One is all 4K files. Some of these a=
re formatted slightly=C2=A0differently than others and require a seperate a=
udio codec. plus the TV has only 1 USB port. After posting questions to a w=
orldwide media list I&#39;ve been on since the late &#39;90s when I built m=
y first digital A/V editing system, the consensus was that I needed a &quot=
;media player&quot; to connect the two hard drives to the TV, so I ordered =
a MyPin M29 media player, $60 from Amazon. It supported the file formats I =
needed, but it wouldn&#39;t let me turn off subtitles/closed captioning (bu=
mmer) and I get frequent, subtle &quot;stuttering&quot; in the audio (MAJOR=
 bummer). If I plugged the 4K hard drive into either my Mac or PC and used =
VLC, everything worked fine, but I want to watch these movies on the 55 inc=
h in our bedroom. An added problem was that the output of the MyPin player=
=C2=A0is HDMI and I was already out of HDMI ports on the TV. So, after seve=
ral discussions with several folks, I ordered a Lenovo M75 Tiny mini PC and=
 plan to run Plex server as the core of a home media server down the road. =
The hard drives plug into it, and there&#39;s plenty of room for expansion.=
the TV? While working to connect all of these input devices I noticed that =
TESmart has a 4 x 1 HDMI switch. I&#39;m using one of their KVM switches to=
 let me control a couple of Macs and a PC with a single keyboard and mouse =
for some time and it works great. I sent their tech folks a note describing=
 my issues with 4K and they said try it. The switch was $25 and they offer =
a 30 day return. Unfortunately it won&#39;t work with 4K so it&#39;s going =
back next week. After talking to a Ford AV systems engineer in Austin that =
I&#39;ve worked with before, I ordered a Monoprice (31057) switch/scaler th=
at Monoprice promises will do what I need. It, too, has a 30 return.</div><=
all of these boxe to work together, especially with 4K is a bit complex. Th=
e reason I&#39;m going through all of this detail is that if anyone&#39;s n=
ot doing 4K video, all of the simpler routing and switching should work fin=
e. However, if you have ANY thoughts of going to 4K, plan for that now. Hop=
/div>

--0000000000000adef705ad67be9f--

--===============0797161588639541256==

--===============0797161588639541256==--