Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: Question on multiple contributions to team.net...

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: Question on multiple contributions to team.net...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 08:34:23 -0600
On 8/12/20 7:30 AM, Pat Horne wrote:
> Mark. I feel for you as the point guy for our lists. I donâ??t mind
> supporting your work yearly but I donâ??t seem to be able to remember when
> that date is reached. Would it be difficult to send yearly reminders to those
> who do support your work? Possibly with an opt out for those who donâ??t want
> it.

Back in the early days when having a high speed network connection at
home was something exotic and expensive, I did fund drives every year.
These days, just about everybody and their cats have a connection, no
big deal.  The fund drives usually came in April, as April 11th, 1991
was the date that the team.net domain was registered. I do usually send
out a "Happy Birthday to us" message on that date, but asking for
financial support is not really a part of that anymore.  There are links
to a donate page sent in every message, maybe I could add something
about it in the monthly reminders sent out on the 5th of every month.
But I doubt that many people actually read those messages.

Back then Team.Net was about the only show in town, keeping it all
running took me 15 - 20 hours a week. Getting financial contributions
back then helped make it worth my while.  I often wonder just how many
hours over the years I have actually put in, and how much of the
donations ended up in my pocket versus paying the ISP bill, hardware
upgrades and such.  Probably something like 2.6 cents per hour for the
job of Team.Net admin.  But the pay scale is not important, I do it
because I want to, because I want to assist in keeping old British cars,
Datsun roadsters, curved dash Oldsmobiles on the road, bringing joy to
people's lives in whatever way I can.  And I hope to keep doing so for
years to come.

But it is always nice if someone says  "Thanks, Mark, let me buy you a
beer."

mjb.