Re: [Shop-talk] Driveway gates

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Driveway gates
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 07:15:46 -0700

--------------7C334EB46AC10BBD8C754BA1

OT, but a friend in construction informed me that these ('drop rods')
are called 'cane locks' in the biz (I'd never heard that).

O(n) T: I think in the long run it'd be easiest to dig them out and
're-plant.'

Bob

On 8/1/2020 6:15 AM, Jim Stone wrote:
> Assuming you can expose enough of the surface, could you could weld a
> ring onto the end of it and then try limiting it up with an engine
> lift?  Iâ??ve used my lift for many jobs besides pulling/installing
> engines, such as pulling wooden fence posts and even bushes out of the
> ground.  You might have to provide a base for the lift, but could
> drill a large hole in a pice of plywood and place that over the pipe.
>  Pull up the pipe, grind off the ring and then tap it down to the old
> location.  Or, remove it entirely and pound in a new, slightly longer
> piece.
>
> Jim
>
>> On Aug 1, 2020, at 8:56 AM, old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com
>>
>> Hi Marty,
>>
>> Could you just put a coupler on the end of the existing pipe in the
>> ground and then insert a short new length of pipe in the coupler to
>> clear the new layer of gravel?
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:52 AM marty sukey <trmarty@hotmail.com
>>
>>     I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the
>>     shop. There are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the
>>     drop rods on the gates when they are closed.  I need to add a few
>>     inches of gravel to the driveway and that would bury the pipes
>>     making them not very usable. Any ideas on home to gab these pipes
>>     and pull them up to match the new surface of the gravel?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Marty

--------------7C334EB46AC10BBD8C754BA1

  <head>
  </head>
    OT, but a friend in construction informed me that these ('drop
    rods') are called 'cane locks' in the biz (I'd never heard that).<br>
    O(n) T: I think in the long run it'd be easiest to dig them out and
    're-plant.'<br>
    Bob<br>
      cite="mid:F82AD0C6-65F4-4D85-972F-58FC0C9B3206@gmail.com">
      Assuming you can expose enough of the surface, could you could
      weld a ring onto the end of it and then try limiting it up with an
      engine lift?  Iâ??ve used my lift for many jobs besides
      pulling/installing engines, such as pulling wooden fence posts and
      even bushes out of the ground.  You might have to provide a base
      for the lift, but could drill a large hole in a pice of plywood
      and place that over the pipe.  Pull up the pipe, grind off the
      ring and then tap it down to the old location.  Or, remove it
      entirely and pound in a new, slightly longer piece.
                href="mailto:dirtbeard@gmail.com"; class=""
                moz-do-not-send="true">dirtbeard@gmail.com</a>&gt;
              wrote:</div>
                  the existing pipe in the ground and then insert a
                  short new length of pipe in the coupler to clear the
                  new layer of gravel?</div>
                  5:52 AM marty sukey &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:trmarty@hotmail.com"; class=""
                    moz-do-not-send="true">trmarty@hotmail.com</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br class="">
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                      sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;" class="">
                      I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going
                      back to the shop. There are two pipes driven into
                      the ground that receive the drop rods on the gates
                      when they are closed.  I need to add a few inches
                      of gravel to the driveway and that would bury the
                      pipes making them not very usable. Any ideas on
                      home to gab these pipes and pull them up to match
                      the new surface of the gravel?</div>
                      sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;" class="">
                      sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;" class="">
                      Thanks,</div>