Re: [Shop-talk] Socket marking? (and a quick 'why?)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Socket marking? (and a quick 'why?)
From: Mike Sinclair <phoenix722@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 13:39:44 -0700

--------------1740F725F305358CB2853FDF

I agree.  I've had my S-K sockets since the 50s and they are as good as
new.  Well, not quite, but readable and usable.  And I've used a lot of
torque a few times.

Mike

On 7/24/2020 9:38 AM, old dirtbeard wrote:
> I know that it is too late now that you have the sockets, but over the
> decades I have used S-K sockets because they are thin-walled (fit in
> the tightest spots), have nice cast-in visible size markings, do not
> break, etc.:
> https://sktools.com/shop/sockets-sets.html?cat=6&fractional_or_metric=179&finish=175
>

> I also would vote for the Brother  P-touch for labeling, though.
>
> best,
>
> doug
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 9:32 AM john niolon <jniolon@att.net
>
>     I"m like Erick... I've used the Brothers labels on mine and they
>     hold up pretty good, but if you use them in really greasy or
>     fluid  areas they let loose quicker
>     they hold up better on chrome sockets... impacts don't seem to
>     hold as well... think the surface is a little more porous... I did
>     clean every thing with lacquer
>     thinner before applying the labels
>     john

  <head>
  </head>
        50s and they are as good as new.  Well, not quite, but readable
        and usable.  And I've used a lot of torque a few times.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAG1pxgbmCAo4ssRRQ6Ehp=UeVDXP=NQEkUrofy7fhCqNftWvdQ@mail.gmail.com">
        sockets, but over the decades I have used S-K sockets because
        they are thin-walled (fit in the tightest spots), have nice
        cast-in visible size markings, do not break, etc.:
href="https://sktools.com/shop/sockets-sets.html?cat=6&amp;fractional_or_metric=179&amp;finish=175";
            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">https://sktools.com/shop/sockets-sets.html?cat=6&amp;fractional_or_metric=179&amp;finish=175</a>  </div>
          though.<br>
          AM john niolon &lt;<a href="mailto:jniolon@att.net";
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">jniolon@att.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              and they hold up pretty good, but if you use them in
              really greasy or fluid  areas they let loose quicker</div>
              seem to hold as well... think the surface is a little more
              porous... I did clean every thing with lacquer</div>
              solid rgb(199,229,255);margin:0px 0px 0px 0.5em">
moz-do-not-send="true">eric@megageek.com</a>&gt;</div>
moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt;</div>
                quick 'why?)</div>
              <hr
style="border-width:medium;border-style:none;border-color:initial;height:1px;color:rgb(204,204,204);background-color:rgb(204,204,204)"><font
                size="2" face="sans-serif">First, why do they not sell
                metric impact sockets sets with all sizes?  I just spend
                about an hour, with a chart to figure out what brand
                sockets, and extra ones I needed to make up a full set.</font>
                the same sizes.  Some skip 16mm, others 20mm etc.  I
                know that some sizes are the same as sae, but what if I
                don't have an sae set?  Just wondering.</font> <br>
                that I have are awesome.  They aren't to fat to prevent
                getting into spaces, but don't break when the gorilla
                (me) turns them.  HOWEVER, most of them are losing their
                labeling.  I don't want to have to buy new sets that are
                engraved, so I wanted some feedback on my options.</font>
                last?  I actually use colored tape on a few of my most
                standard sizes so I can quickly find them, but that
                needs to be re-applied every few years.</font> <br>
                markers than can write on these things that will last a
                while?  (If I have to re write them as it wears off,
                that isn't an issue, as long as it isn't too often.) </font><br>
                I have a dremel engraver.  Will that work without
                weakening the socket?  Any other way to do it?</font> <br>
                3?  Engrave then write over the number with a marker?</font>
                Thanks.</font> <br>
                "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your
                rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the
                first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson <br>
                -Who is John Galt?</font> </blockquote>
            moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"