Re: [Shop-talk] Inch pounds

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net> +k3WjJsN/v/8dmxrDzs7EXXNs5iXmryQWWocGyWtu3xDBOsdHVEq6vP7VjXnjTog47ydKMkdkPweAg==
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Inch pounds
From: neiljsherry--- via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 21:15:40 +0100

------1VNIXSUSY3SNEYQHB3HP27R1R6O47Z
 charset=utf-8

That will be a torque - so you can measure as you describe with a 1 pound m=
ass/force at 12" radius - or any other combination that multiplies out the =
same to 12 (12 pounds at 1", 2 pounds at 6" etc)=2E If hanging a weight on,=
 the steering shaft will need to be horizontal - so the angle of the column=
 in the vehicle is unlikely to be suitable=2E You could use a spring balanc=
e=2E

On 24 May 2020 19:20:08 BST, Robert Nogueirao via Shop-talk <shop-talk@aut=
ox=2Eteam=2Enet> wrote:
>Folk I=E2=80=99m  rebuilding a steering box=2E  The manual says to set th=
e peg
>thrust adjustment so it takes 12 inch pounds at the rim of the steering
>wheel to over come the =E2=80=9Chigh spot=E2=80=9D or resistance=2E
>I have always heard of =E2=80=98inch pounds=E2=80=99 as a measure of torq=
ue=2E If so,
>would it not be measured from the center of the steering wheel? =20
>Lacking a inch pound torque wrench my plan was to hang a one lbs weight
>12 inches from the center of the wheel and make the adjustment until
>the weight can over come the resistance and falls=2E
>Is this what you think the author meant?
>Bob Nogueira=20
=2Enet

--=20
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E
------1VNIXSUSY3SNEYQHB3HP27R1R6O47Z
 charset=utf-8

describe with a 1 pound mass/force at 12" radius - or any other combination=
 that multiplies out the same to 12 (12 pounds at 1", 2 pounds at 6" etc)=
=2E If hanging a weight on, the steering shaft will need to be horizontal -=
 so the angle of the column in the vehicle is unlikely to be suitable=2E Yo=
 2020 19:20:08 BST, Robert Nogueirao via Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@autox=2Ete=
am=2Enet&gt; wrote:<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0=
pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1e=
x;">
<pre class=3D"k9mail">Folk I=E2=80=99m  rebuilding a steering box=2E  The =
manual says to set the peg thrust adjustment so it takes 12 inch pounds at =
the rim of the steering wheel to over come the =E2=80=9Chigh spot=E2=80=9D =
or resistance=2E<br>I have always heard of =E2=80=98inch pounds=E2=80=99 as=
 a measure of torque=2E If so, would it not be measured from the center of =
the steering wheel?  <br>Lacking a inch pound torque wrench my plan was to =
hang a one lbs weight 12 inches from the center of the wheel and make the a=
djustment until the weight can over come the resistance and falls=2E<br>Is =
this what you think the author meant?<br>Bob Nogueira <hr>Shop-talk@autox=
=2Eteam=2Enet<br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml";>=
http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml</a><br>Suggested annual donation  $12=
=2E96<br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk";>h=
ttp://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox=2Ete=
Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/shop-talk/neil=
jsherry@talktalk=2Enet">http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/shop-talk=
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E</b=
ody></html>
------1VNIXSUSY3SNEYQHB3HP27R1R6O47Z--

--===============8009459064993658989==

--===============8009459064993658989==--