Re: [Shop-talk] Birthday

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com> definitions=2020-04-11_04:2020-04-09, 2020-04-11 signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1011 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=999 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-2002250000 definitions=main-2004110127
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Birthday
From: Pat Horne via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 08:23:29 -0500
Cc: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Happy birthday!

Thanks for the history lesson on our beloved team net. Iâ??ve been on since mid
to late 90â??s and donâ??t know where Iâ??d be without it. Thanks for all your
work.

Donâ??t give 66 a second thought, itâ??s just a number. Iâ??m coming up on 73
in July and am rebuilding my shop after a fire. I could have just bulldozed it
but then what would I do with my time?

Thanks for everything.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

> On Apr 11, 2020, at 8:04 AM, Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk
> <shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

April 11th.  As many of you know, the domain team.net was officially
registered on April 11, 1991, by the late Bill Caloccia.  I have been managing
the mailing lists on autox.team.net since then, actually for a while before
that.  I took over  from Jim Muller, who took over from Dale Cook, and I wish I
had archives of those first few years.  Actually I may have some in my office,
on 1/4 inch tape cassettes.  Every now and then I consider trying to revive
some of the old HP-UX boxes I have to see if I can still read any of those
tapes.  Maybe someday.

Anyway, in the beginning I was routing everything through the servers at the
University of Utah Computer Science Department, where I was employed.  When my
fellow sys admins started noticing just how much network traffic there was on a
certain box, my boss strongly suggested I make other arrangements.  So I went
about getting a network connection at home.  Back then, it was not that easy,
or cheap.  And as I recall, the first dedicated Team Net server was an HP box
with one of the first 100+ megahertz CPUs, and even with a deal through HP, who
worked closely with the U in those days the system set me back about $2,500.
Hardware has improved since then.  And that money didn't all come out of my
pocket, I initiated a fund drive among the list members and got a great
response.  Back then it was all checks in the mail, and I mailed a thank you
postcard to every contributor, or at least most of them, no doubt I missed a
few.  And for some time there was an annual fund drive to cover the rather high
cost of having sufficient bandwidth from my house.

So here it is 29 and just everybody has fast network available to them.   I
dropped the fund drives some years back, though folks do continue to contribute
to the cause.  Now a few clicks in Paypal can take care of it, though some
still prefer to send checks. Yep, things are different now.  And with the
Covid-19 pandemic, a LOT different.  But the Team Net mailing lists are still
chugging along, providing those spending more time at home a bit of
distraction, entertainment or education as we keep our beloved vehicles rolling
along the roads.

I plan to keep it going as long as I can, who knows how many years I have left.
 April 11th is also my birthday, 66 this year, and I certainly won't live
forever.  And I fear that when I die, Team Net will die.  Sigh.

But for now, enjoy and stay healthy.

mjb.