Re: [Shop-talk] need a new router

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] need a new router
From: Peter Murray via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 20:38:07 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000064a39405a26c40af

Tim-

The big question for you is what kind of internet connection you have.
Based on the "old router" statement, I'd theorize you have a cable modem or
DSL bridge, and have a standard ethernet-based router with a Public/WAN
interface, and a group of ethernet ports bridged with your Access Point.

If so, you've received some good advice here. The Mikrotik gear is
commercial-grade, high quality, secure and will last a long while, but
hasn't been, in my experience, very end-user friendly, but only because it
is capable of so much.

If you 're looking to invest in a decent router that you can use for the
next several years, I'd look at mid-tier models from Netgear, TP-Link or
Asus. The important item is that you receive software support for a good
while, because that's what will go a long way towards keeping your home
network protected from malware infections, etc. The routers themselves are
computers, and there are wide swaths of infected home routers, due to
exploited vulnerabilities in both their firmware and the hardware itself.

Personally, I'm using a Ubiquiti UniFi USG, which is a commercial-grade
managed 3-port router. I use two UniFi AP-AC-Pros in the house. Its what I
deploy to my clients, so I better have it available to test updates before
I update my clients. It isn't too expensive, but its more complexity than
you likely are looking for in your domicile.

I'd specifically look at this TP-Link:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1900-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B07NF3K74H. It
is a newer model, so it'll be supported for several years. I've had several
friends with the prior generation model (which has similarly good reviews
on Amazon), so I'd expect it'll perform well for years.

Happy to discuss further.

ObShopContent: The network rack is in a corner of the shop!

-Peter

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM Tim . via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> This working from home has proven to me that I finally need to replace my
> very old router.
>
> I don't want to have to go shopping for it but also know that my computer
> knowledge is dated and not even close to being up to date.
>
> So, I need recommendations for a good home router that will be easy to
> configure.
>
> I am pretty sure that I can get up to 100MB speed from our ISP so want to
> try to take advantage of that since both my wife and I are both working
> from home.
>
> Thanks
> stay healthy
> tim

--00000000000064a39405a26c40af

ind of internet connection you have. Based on the &quot;old router&quot; st=
atement, I&#39;d theorize you have a cable modem or DSL bridge, and have a =
standard ethernet-based router with a Public/WAN interface, and a group of =
so, you&#39;ve received some good advice here. The Mikrotik gear is commerc=
ial-grade, high quality, secure and will last a long while, but hasn&#39;t =
been, in my experience, very end-user friendly, but only because it is capa=
vest in a decent router that you can use for the next several years, I&#39;=
d look at mid-tier models from Netgear, TP-Link or Asus. The important item=
 is that you receive software support for a good while, because that&#39;s =
what will go a long way towards keeping your home network protected from ma=
lware infections, etc. The routers themselves are computers, and there are =
wide swaths of infected home routers, due to exploited vulnerabilities in b=
ally, I&#39;m using a Ubiquiti UniFi USG, which is a commercial-grade manag=
ed 3-port router. I use two UniFi AP-AC-Pros in the house. Its what I deplo=
y to my clients, so I better have it available to test updates before I upd=
ate my clients. It isn&#39;t too expensive, but its more complexity than yo=
 specifically look at this TP-Link:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/=
TP-Link-AC1900-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B07NF3K74H">https://www.amazon.com/TP-L=
ink-AC1900-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B07NF3K74H</a>. It is a newer model, so it&=
#39;ll be supported for several years. I&#39;ve had several friends with th=
e prior generation model (which has similarly good reviews on Amazon), so I=
s=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM Tim . via Shop-talk &lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0=
px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

:rgb(0,0,0)">
This working from home has proven to me that I finally need to replace my v=
ery old router.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
I don&#39;t want to have to go shopping for it but also know that my comput=
er knowledge is dated and not even close to being up to date.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
So, I need recommendations for a good home router that will be easy to conf=
igure.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
I am pretty sure that I can get up to 100MB speed from our ISP so want to t=
ry to take advantage of that since both my wife and I are both working from=
 home.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Thanks</div>