[Shop-talk] PVC pressure

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, nogera@icloud.com
Subject: [Shop-talk] PVC pressure
From: Mark Miller via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 13:44:34 -0700
There are a large number of 'ifs' in any answer:
If it is all sch 40 piping and fittings (none of the thin wall sch 125
stuff or flexible piping)
if the fittings were properly glued in
if it is not under stress from shifting after installation

That all said: the raw pipe is good for close to 200psi, burst strength
is 5X that.  Give it no more than 20 and be very safe.  Or fill the
piping with water and then pressurize above the water line with air and
be even safer.  Or connect clear tubing to the pipe, hold it as high up
as you can, and fill that all with water and see if the level drops,
it's just under 1/2 PSI per foot of water elevation.

Regards, Mark Miller 707-490-5834 markmiller@threeboysfarm.com