Re: [Shop-talk] temporary connections

To: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>, Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] temporary connections
From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 21:07:14 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=NJXGf4wQZEmEijunY8T5pt41KURVA15vs4hw3GHF6V2iJn/WWUqSv/X9yzcY4RlF1Y+Ey8CYJzbS1nsQA8xK90EgNoLtjQNg/5Ju4NP2sCZ0TK7MOuzoh0jNefvmiQQ31Iicn9VlwtcF4TWio1kK2uIEV8y87uemO7IXABE0RQi7vRt9FLsIDv+7zNIv+F0wgx5+oYfFdB86tyQ1bt5oF8iXhovzhpTl9od3Emmy7hekVX6mZsEieQd0HDOoZgpXLbbt9mcDWE0ioIkKfoApdF6Uz1/Wt+ytJxlzBC9VZtnn9UIENqADsPfeTqQIlO0Di/Hsd6cjuQnb5+6Omm9EtA==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------90DAD5FE408838C33255CBCE

If you are looking at strap hinges, can you use regular door hinges?  It
wouldn't be rigid, but may work depending on the need. If you want to go
with strap hinges, just grind off the end of the pin so it comes out and
perhaps use the right diameter nail in place of the hinge pin.

Another option might be to saw a groove in the top of bottom of each
panel and use something like
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-12-Gauge-Angle-A33/100374962
to lock the panels together.  This would require that the connecting
edges be mitered.

My final thought is a segment of straight bar and an offset bar.  On one
edge, you would put the offset brackets and the other panel would have
straight brackets.  Basic graphic of the offset bracket below.

--

Think of a smaller version of a bracket where you would drop a 2x4
across a door to block it closed.  Hope that makes sense.

Brian

On 8/15/2019 8:31 PM, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk
wrote:
> Iâ??m looking for something to temporarily connect a pair of 2â?? thick
> panels (3â??x 6â??) to form
> a right angle.  Inexpensive and easily knocked apart for quick
> assembly and teardown.
> Panels weigh nearly 100 lbs each.  First thought was strap hinges with
> removable pins.
> Strangely I havenâ??t seen anything with removable pins, they mostly say
> non-removable.
> Maybe something like a fitting thru a slot with a tapered wedge acting
> as a pin, like
> maybe in concrete form assembly.....?  But havenâ??t seen anything that
> would work.
> I only need two, this is a one-time build and it will be used in the shop!
> Thanks for any ideas.
> Steve Hammatt
> Mount Vernon WA USA
> www.leatherplates.com <http://www.leatherplates.com>

--------------90DAD5FE408838C33255CBCE

  <head>
  </head>
    If you are looking at strap hinges, can you use regular door
    hinges?  It wouldn't be rigid, but may work depending on the need.
    If you want to go with strap hinges, just grind off the end of the
    pin so it comes out and perhaps use the right diameter nail in place
    of the hinge pin.<br>
    Another option might be to saw a groove in the top of bottom of each
    panel and use something like
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-12-Gauge-Angle-A33/100374962";>https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-12-Gauge-Angle-A33/100374962</a>
    to lock the panels together.  This would require that the connecting
    edges be mitered.<br>
    My final thought is a segment of straight bar and an offset bar.  On
    one edge, you would put the offset brackets and the other panel
    would have straight brackets.  Basic graphic of the offset bracket
    below.<br>
    --<br>
    Think of a smaller version of a bracket where you would drop a 2x4
    across a door to block it closed.  Hope that makes sense.<br>
    Brian<br>
      Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:F97D4D573830458EAD44C9349B8E9521@DESKTOPTOA1F5G">
          #000000">
            of 2â?? thick panels (3â??x 6â??) to form </div>
            quick assembly and teardown.</div>
            strap hinges with removable pins.</div>
            they mostly say non-removable. </div>
            wedge acting as a pin, like </div>