Re: [Shop-talk] modern tranny service

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] modern tranny service
From: John Miller via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 13:11:09 -0700
On 8/5/2019 9:41 AM, Tim . via Shop-talk wrote:
> Someone please correct me here since I doubt this is accurate....
>
> I seem to remember reading, years ago, that if an automatic transmission
> has had regular service that it shouldn't be done if the vehicle has a
> lot of miles on it. Something about the new fluid can degrade the seals?

I don't think it's the seals, but a friend who was once an engineer on
the P71 Crown Vic (police) program at Ford once told me that auto trans
life is very simple: drain and fill the transmission pan every 50K.

Don't worry about the torque converter or the filter, just drain and
fill, then do it again the next 50K.  You can drop the pan and do the
filter every so often, but don't obsess about how much you get out or
how you do it, just get new fluid in there regularly.

That's kinda been my model since.

John.