Re: [Shop-talk] misshapen hex nuts

To: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] misshapen hex nuts
From: Steven Trovato via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 15:12:00 -0400
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Maybe.  The nuts on the car from Toyota were nothing like
this.  These were the replacements that came with the new parts.  The
job is already done, we used different nuts.  I was just wondering
for future reference. I have a collection of tricks for removing odd
nuts, including that pin socket in the Amazon link.  I don't usually
resort to such things when installing new parts. If this is
intentional, I wonder how they expect them to be installed?  It might
be possible to use an open end wrench if you only use the closer pair
of flats, but that is kind of ridiculous.

-Steve T.

At 01:28 PM 5/31/2019, Randall wrote:
>I've seen those as well.  IMO the distortion is deliberate, a cheap form of
>Stover nut.  OEMs are always looking for ways to save another $.001 per car,
>so they might well be to Toyota specs.
>
>My solution is to just toss them, and use something else (with Loctite).
>
>But you might try using a "flank drive" socket on them.  They're usually a
>lot more tolerant of odd shapes and such.
>
>Another possibility:
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PRY9W6?tag=b0c55-20
>
>-- Randall

---