[Shop-talk] B&S mower engine, surging and dying. Ideas?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] B&S mower engine, surging and dying. Ideas?
From: David Hillman via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 17:57:15 -0400 (EDT)
    Ok, I'm out of ideas.  Requesting new ones.

    I have a Craftsman walk-behind mower with a 163cc Briggs & Stratton
4-stroke engine ( engine: 104m02-0008-f1 to be precise ).  It's only 3 or
4 years old, but it will not run.  And it's starting to piss me off.

    It starts normally ( no manual prime or choke, so it takes ~3 pulls
but it always has ), and runs fine for less than 5 minutes.  After that,
it surges rhythmically and after a minute or so of that, dies.  Following
that, it will not re-start until allowed to rest for a few minutes.

    I have installed a new plug, new air filter, new carburetor, and new
ignitor.  I checked and set the gap on the plug and the ignitor to spec (
.030" and .006-.014" respectively ).  Has clean oil, and brand new gas.
Fuel screen in the tank is clean, as is the fuel hose to the carb.
Carb bowl has fuel.

    What else can be wrong with it?  It seems to be heat-related, but it
has no cooling system.

    Thanks.

Obligatory Shop Content: I can't work on anything interesting until this
damn mower runs.

--
  David Hillman