Re: [Shop-talk] Outlet "strap" replacement

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Outlet "strap" replacement
From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:09:00 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=YZRDMy9IGCAsFI2KtWaKyUiVLvP8gkvLUPxOtlbXN4Qm5LBlEyqiCZItUdjbwuhnj1vpkt/2cemRxTPLzoLkfL57nRJokBLUzflxQsP4QTmsBrpsLNwlPR1s/i9Q3Qq+Mg0p5CMBySwHz4RAqspJoZfiPlw3O85CD1WtkYw+Ar73AqvjudkxI1ZgV2eKt/mWvsbQwWEJe93/w3Yx7N0mu80KPWOv00zekUjdYURJeAZ37kPTL432OFo0jq77LIPj/I96sje6u8rZwsv6yhX2zkIycalc3ISq4uMLTKZpI4nG9+h47SXqSbizjx6aCjwNLj+7+j24YBzqGqZWfxiVYw==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------37F3E378284D02CB62B4FB8A

I would go to an actual electrical supply house and talk to them. They
should be able to find an exact replacement.  While you may be able to
get away with your idea, I would not recommend it.  If there is a
problem down the road, modifying the UL certified device, you are 100%
libel for any damages.  To me, it would not be worth it.

In addition, if you ever pulled a building/electrical permit in the
future and an inspector discovered your work, you would be required to
properly replace the outlet and probably have your entire house
inspected and perhaps brought into compliance with current codes.

Brian

On 3/17/2019 6:43 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk wrote:
> I have a recessed floor outlet. The outlet itself has worn so much
> that blades won't stay in it.
>
> The recepticle part of the outlet is just a regular plastic
> recepticle. The metal strap that screws into the box appears to be a
> unique part though--it locates the recepticle deeper so that it's
> about an inch recessed into the box.
>
> It's held to the plastic body with rivets. So is the normal unit I
> bought from Home Depot. The holes for everything line up. Can I just
> drill out the rivets on both units and use the strap from the old part
> and the plastic recepticle from the new one? Or do those rivets also
> do something besides hold the recepticle to the strap?
>
> Thanks in advance.

--------------37F3E378284D02CB62B4FB8A

  <head>
  </head>
    I would go to an actual electrical supply house and talk to them.
    They should be able to find an exact replacement.  While you may be
    able to get away with your idea, I would not recommend it.  If there
    is a problem down the road, modifying the UL certified device, you
    are 100% libel for any damages.  To me, it would not be worth it.<br>
    In addition, if you ever pulled a building/electrical permit in the
    future and an inspector discovered your work, you would be required
    to properly replace the outlet and probably have your entire house
    inspected and perhaps brought into compliance with current codes.<br>
    Brian <br>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAK73_u5iMntrYbGozRZij9SXBfYVcQj3LpBdp8WT3j+HTj+wbw@mail.gmail.com">
        has worn so much that blades won't stay in it.
          regular plastic recepticle. The metal strap that screws into
          the box appears to be a unique part though--it locates the
          recepticle deeper so that it's about an inch recessed into the
          box.</div>
          the normal unit I bought from Home Depot. The holes for
          everything line up. Can I just drill out the rivets on both
          units and use the strap from the old part and the plastic
          recepticle from the new one? Or do those rivets also do
          something besides hold the recepticle to the strap?</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>