Re: [Shop-talk] Cabin Air Filters

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cabin Air Filters
From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 16:59:58 -0800

--------------984238F3B729DDC18D1D854F

I'll bite.  First, what do you mean by 'due?'  Is your current one
sprouting new life forms?  Or is it just 'cause the owner's manual says
'Change thy cabin air filter every 30,000 miles, else Thor will come
down from Olympus and smite thee with his hammer?'

Seriousness aside, if your cabin HVAC system is functioning properly;
i.e. no unintended holes, oil leaks, etc. a filter will keep some dust
and dirt out of your cabin, so it will stay just a bit cleaner.  If you
live in a dusty environment; say, the Mojave or parts of Nevada, you'd
probably want to change it more often than the 'book' says.  If you live
in a really humid place; say, Seattle you might want to change it more
often too, to keep mildew spores down.  Otherwise, you can probably go
100K miles without messin' with it (esp. if it's a PITA to get to--most
are).  I've tried the ones with activated charcoal embedded in them, and
I did think the cabin air smelled a bit fresher for a while--placebo
effect, maybe--but it's just a little bit of charcoal and probably gets
saturated in a couple hundred miles anyway.

Also, it's fourteen bucks!  You can probably get them in bulk for
cheaper from RockAuto, Amazon, etc. (but you DO get what you pay for).

Bob

On 3/8/2019 11:29 AM, eric--- via Shop-talk wrote:
> OK, so my Ford Explorer is due for a new 'cabin air filter.'
>
> It's $14 bucks, so I got it.  But my question is, do you really need
> them?  Can I just remove it and leave it out?  I'm not allergic nor am
> I needing to have 'filtered' air.  In fact, I think the whole idea of
> them is insane.  But is there anything it is protecting?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
> territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
> -Who is John Galt?

--------------984238F3B729DDC18D1D854F

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      one sprouting new life forms?  Or is it just 'cause the owner's
      manual says 'Change thy cabin air filter every 30,000 miles, else
      Thor will come down from Olympus and smite thee with his hammer?'</p>
      properly; i.e. no unintended holes, oil leaks, etc. a filter will
      keep some dust and dirt out of your cabin, so it will stay just a
      bit cleaner.  If you live in a dusty environment; say, the Mojave
      or parts of Nevada, you'd probably want to change it more often
      than the 'book' says.  If you live in a really humid place; say,
      Seattle you might want to change it more often too, to keep mildew
      spores down.  Otherwise, you can probably go 100K miles without
      messin' with it (esp. if it's a PITA to get to--most are).  I've
      tried the ones with activated charcoal embedded in them, and I did
      think the cabin air smelled a bit fresher for a while--placebo
      effect, maybe--but it's just a little bit of charcoal and probably
      gets saturated in a couple hundred miles anyway.</p>
      cheaper from RockAuto, Amazon, etc. (but you DO get what you pay
      for).</p>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
cite="mid:OF7B70B44E.FC76A98E-ON852583B7.006AEB68-852583B7.006B1B99@mail.megageek.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        for a new
        'cabin air filter.'</font>
        my question is, do you really need them?  Can I just remove it
        and
        leave it out?  I'm not allergic nor am I needing to have
        'filtered'
        air.  In fact, I think the whole idea of them is insane.  But
        is there anything it is protecting?  </font>
        Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
        Tech Viper<br>
        "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
        rational
        being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory."
        Ralph
        Waldo Emerson <br>
        -Who is John Galt?</font>

--------------984238F3B729DDC18D1D854F--