[Shop-talk] Fwd: installing a gas stove

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Fwd: installing a gas stove
From: David Scheidt via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 15:46:07 -0600
On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:27 PM Tim . via Shop-talk
<shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> We are going to get a new stove this year if it frelling kills me. We are
> switching to gas. The current hood vent does not vent to the outside (and i
> bloody hate it). I will have a professional do the gas line install.
>
> My question is, does anyone know if it is mandatory to have a hood that vents
> to the outside when a gas stove/oven is installed? I am in WI if that helps.
> I want to have one that vents to the outside but that money does not exist at
> this time. Nor do I know anyone that I can trust to cut a hole in my kitchen
> wall.
>
> shop content: the old oven is going into the shop to be used for powder
> coating. It is a pretty decent sized oven for its age.

The model codes do not require that stoves be vented.  Some appliances
-- mostly big fancy faux commercial things -- require it as part of
their installation instructions.  (which technacially means it's
required by code, because you're required to install them according to
the manuracture's insturctions.  )

Also, do not install a gas line until you have chosen a stove.  There
are locations required for the gas line and electrical connection, and
you have them in the wrong place, you can't move the stove all the way
back.  Modern appliances are more restrictive about that than they
used to be.  I went through this myself this last summer.  I recommend
putting the gas valve in something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-696-1021GF-Box-Outlet/dp/B003QSPUEO
instead of just sticking out the wall.

It's also well within the capability of most people on the list.
Black pipe is easy to work with, and you can easily get nipples that
elminate any need to cut and thread it.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com