[Shop-talk] Cheap, strong, flat file storage?

To: Shop-talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cheap, strong, flat file storage?
From: Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 20:38:26 -0500
An artist friend needs a way to store a lot of flat paper material but on many
different shelves; essentially a drafting storage unit but at an artist's
price. Safco has stackable plastic units similar to desktop units that hold
8.5x11 paper, but they're 42 x 30 or so. Problem is they cost about $60 per
tray. Used drafting storage units are still many $100s.

We're trying to come up with a thin, strong material that can be slid into
slots in a frame, kind of like baking sheets on a rolling cart. The frame needs
to roll and be strong enough not to rack when moved.

I've made bookshelves and entertainment centers with 3/4 melamine and threaded
rod, but that's heavy and wobbly.  Even 1/4 plywood tends to buckle and needs
to have a finished edge.

Any ideas on what to use or repurpose?

thanks,
jim