[Shop-talk] Tricky problem with a GMC 3500

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net type=4; name=$KeepSent
Subject: [Shop-talk] Tricky problem with a GMC 3500
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 14:05:01 -0500 11/21/2018 02:05:07 PM, Serialize complete at 11/21/2018 02:05:07 PM
--===============7834614910140767656==

--=_alternative 0068D4F28525834C_=

1998 GMC 3500 mason dump.  LOW miles ( 87K)  Gas engine

When it runs, it is flawless.  Great idle, lots of power, no issues.  Kept
in heated garage.  Always on a battery tender.

About 6 months ago (maybe longer as this truck is rarely used.)  when I
would first start it, it would idle way too low and stall.  I few minutes
of warm-up, and it was fine.

Then, this past month, I had to move it to one of my out buildings for
about 3 weeks.  The building has lots of moisture (it will NOT stop
raining and now snowing here.)

I went to start it up and it wouldn't start.  Engine turned over fine,
sounded normal, but it wouldn't start.  After I tried a  few times, the
engine would 'diesel' when I stopped cranking.

I tried some starter fluid and it didn't change anything (so I thought no
spark.)  Battery was on a 'boost starter' plugged in the wall.  Gas smell
coming out of tailpipe.

Checked spark, all good.  Under the hood seemed dry (there was no
condensation or anything) but the building had a wet floor.

After some wrangling with a tractor, fork-lift, and a few new vocabulary
words,  I got it onto the main garage where I let it sit over night with
the hood up.

So I tried it today and it started right up.  So this is clearly an issue
with the moisture.  My question is, where do I start to troubleshoot?  I
can't predict it being moist in the other garage (and when it's there,
it's away from all my tools etc.)

ODBC tool has no codes.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  I'd hate to be stuck on the side of the
road because of rain or something.

Thanks!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
Waldo Emerson
--=_alternative 0068D4F28525834C_=

( 87K) &nbsp;Gas engine</font>
idle, lots of power, no issues. &nbsp;Kept in heated garage. &nbsp;Always
on a battery tender.</font>
this truck is rarely used.) &nbsp;when I would first start it, it would
idle way too low and stall. &nbsp;I few minutes of warm-up, and it was
fine.</font>
it to one of my out buildings for about 3 weeks. &nbsp;The building has
lots of moisture (it will NOT stop raining and now snowing here.)</font>
start. &nbsp;Engine turned over fine, sounded normal, but it wouldn't start.
&nbsp;After I tried a &nbsp;few times, the engine would 'diesel' when I
stopped cranking. &nbsp;</font>
change anything (so I thought no spark.) &nbsp;Battery was on a 'boost
starter' plugged in the wall. &nbsp;Gas smell coming out of tailpipe.</font>
the hood seemed dry (there was no condensation or anything) but the building
had a wet floor.</font>
fork-lift, and a few new vocabulary words, &nbsp;I got it onto the main
garage where I let it sit over night with the hood up.</font>
up. &nbsp;So this is clearly an issue with the moisture. &nbsp;My question
is, where do I start to troubleshoot? &nbsp;I can't predict it being moist
in the other garage (and when it's there, it's away from all my tools
etc.)</font>
hate to be stuck on the side of the road because of rain or something.
&nbsp;</font>
Thanks!</font>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============7834614910140767656==--