Re: [Shop-talk] Crawl space Vents

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Crawl space Vents
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:28:23 -0400

--------------E0D22F722873DF030C0BEDAF

The answer is it probably depends on which part of the country you live
in.  If you're in the eastern half of Texas where relative humidity
levels in the summer might hover around 70%, you can make a strong
argument that the vents should be shut year-round.  The idea that
allowing cross-airflow to carry moisture out of the building doesn't
work if the air you're outside air you're drawing in has even higher
water content.

Decades ago, the belief was that crawlspaces needed to have good
airflow.  Some people even replaced their vents with small fans.  These
days the mindset, including that of the Department of Energy, seems to
fall solidly into the seal-up-your-crawlspace school of thought.

On 10/30/18 10:57, Robert Nogueira wrote:

> The house attached to my garage is pier and beam with a crawl space.
> On two ends of the foundation are some vents which have removable
> covers. The covers have been on for many years,  The crawl space is
> bone dry.
>
> The question, do need to remove the covers?  If so which season?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Bob in Texas

--------------E0D22F722873DF030C0BEDAF

  <head>
  </head>
      you live in.  If you're in the eastern half of Texas where
      relative humidity levels in the summer might hover around 70%, you
      can make a strong argument that the vents should be shut
      year-round.  The idea that allowing cross-airflow to carry
      moisture out of the building doesn't work if the air you're
      outside air you're drawing in has even higher water content.  <br>
      crawlspaces needed to have good airflow.  Some people even
      replaced their vents with small fans.  These days the mindset,
      including that of the Department of Energy, seems to fall solidly
      into the seal-up-your-crawlspace school of thought.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:A1379A23-F135-4D12-B8EF-FFE1BE1A2C9E@me.com">
          style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255,
          255, 0);">The house attached to my garage is pier and beam
          with a crawl space.  On two ends of the foundation are some
          vents which have removable covers. The covers have been on for
          many years,  The crawl space is bone dry.</span></p>
          style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255,
          255, 0);">The question, do need to remove the covers?  If so
          which season?</span></p>
          style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255,
          255, 0);">Thanks,</span></p>
          style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255,
          255, 0);"> Bob in Texas </span></p>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>